BI commentary allows users to collaborate by commenting on any of the data/statistics available in a given document. With BI Commentary, users can post comments on data/statistics within the reports. This feature is only available for Webi Reports.
Where the Comments will be stored – By default Comments will be stored in the Audit database, however with audit as commentary DB reports performance will be impacted. SAP recommends to use dedicated DB for commentary service.
What if Audit is not enabled – BI Commentary will not work until manually configure commentary service with database.
Supported Databases for Commentary Services
- IBM DB2
- Microsoft SQL Server
- SAP HANA
- Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise
- Sybase SQL Anywhere
Dedicated Commentary service only connects to DB using JDBC.
Changing Commentary to dedicated DB — Below steps are performed on Windows 2008,MS SQL Server and BI 4.2 SP3 version.
- Start and Enable newly created APS Commentary service
- For MS SQL Server databases we need sqljdbc4.jar. You can download JAR file from MS (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11774). For other supported databases download the following jar files
- IBM DB2 — db2jcc4.jar
- MySQL — com.mysql.jdbc_5.1.5.jar
- SAP HANA — ngdbc.jar
- Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise — jconn4.jar
- Sybase SQL Anywhere — jconn4.jar
- Place sqljdbc4.jar file in <INSTALL_DIR>\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\java\pjs\services\BICommentaryService\lib
- Restart SIA
- Login to CMC with Admin credentials, Goto Applications > BI Commentary Application > Properties. By default Audit will be selected Change it to Supported database
- From dropdown select Type of DB, Enter DB name, Server, Port & DB credentials (Make sure DB user ID have Create Table access on the DB). Don’t click “Test Connection” at, simply Save&Close.
- Navigate to CMC > Servers. Open Commentary service and add -Dcom.sun.net.ssl.enableECC=false switch. This is required as we are using JDBC driver and JDK 1.7 requires JCE cryptographic provider to implement ECC (Elliptic Curve Cryptography)
- Save & close. Restart APS Commentary service.
- Goto CMC > Applications > Open BI Commentary Application and click “Test Connection”. Test connection must be success to work Commentary service.
- Verification can be done from BI Launchpad. Open any webi report. Select any table or block. Click comment and insert comment.
- After inserting the comment, data will be inserted into DB table. Login to Database and you will see table called COMMENTARY_MASTER .